Friday, October 5, 2007

Research libraries and librarians

Hi all
Linda beat me to the post - I have also just found the ASERL competencies for research librarians. I have looked at 4 documents - these ASERL competencies; the Texas docuemnt given to us by Renfrew Chrisite as well as his presentation and Karin's presentation on what researchers want. I collated the information and drew up a 2 page list of what this research animal looks like. It seems there are 3 broad areas of skills / knowledge and attributes: knowledge about the research process and information resources; broader endeavours of the institution and information society and finally personal attributes. Its quite a powerful and challenging list. The documents also usefully sumamrise challenges to and nature of the research library - I havent quite collated that yet. These 4 documents together really provide a useful and concrete base from which to plan an upgrade of ourselves.

Rose

2 Comments:

At October 5, 2007 at 10:38 AM , Blogger Eileen Shepherd said...

It would be great if you could share you collation with us, Rose?

 
At October 11, 2007 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Rose's library said...

Check out my blog - I think I have finally worked out how to use a blog for a particular purpose!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home