Thursday, September 30, 2010

Nothing for nothing

"I choose free libraries as the best agencies for improving the masses of the people, because they give nothing for nothing. They only help those who help themselves. They never pauperize. They reach the aspiring and open to these chief treasures of the world -- those stored up in books. A taste for reading drives out lower tastes." ~ Andrew Carnegie

Greetings from the late-comer. I'm Lara Skelly, the subject librarian for Economics at UCT. I'm currently doing my Masters exploring the Librarians' Axiom: the idea that library usage goes up during an economic recession. I'm looking forward to meeting all the new faces on Sunday. It looks like it will be a very interesting two weeks.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home