Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fascinating and challenging

I know I'm not the only one not certain exactly how to respond to some of the challenges posed during our daily discussions. I think it is wonderful that the forum is open to expression, and that dictatorial opinions have no place in the Academy, since that is no way to promote learning. Not for a long time and on such a continuous basis have I felt so intellectually stimulated, deliberately forced to evaluate my own opinions, viewpoints and preconception, and I am enjoying myself thoroughly!

An ongoing debate rages over professional versus paraprofessional librarian roles in the library, and limitations or opportunities for improvement made available to each group. I find myself puzzled by the differences in content of the library science programmes offered by the various institutions and the seeming lack of discourse between employers and library schools with regard to employment opportunities offered to members of both groups (i.e. professional vs. paraprofessional library staff). So it seems to me that the sooner that a coherent strategy with regard to what is acceptable and what is not can be agreed upon, the sooner steps towards role definition in the workplace and employee expectations can be managed, and, hopefully, conflict averted. So the debate rages, and, for now, I am content to ruminate on my thoughts around the issue, until next time...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At September 20, 2007 at 9:49 PM , Blogger Information Matters said...

Talking about libarary schools, I was horified by Genevieve Hart's comment about closing the UCT Library School in 2010. Are we a dying breed and why?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home