Saturday, March 28, 2009

Aggieland







The Texas State flower blue-bonnet in full flower on open fields all around Texas at the moment - a beautiful spring display! A&M University horticulture students managed to grow them in maroon as well, as maroon is the university colour!
Its been a hectic week to say the least!
Even though I had a bad start with the flight to CollegeStation been cancelled at Dallas Airport, and I had to be re-booked via GeorgeBush Airport, Houston, meaning yet another airport landing & departure.... and I arrived at CollegeStation only at 19h00 on the 19th when you were all happily settled in already, the learning experience here is great. There isn't much happening in CollegeStation other than the university activities - the city is very much like UrbanaChampaign. But people are really friendly here, they start conversations in restaurants and offer advice on places to visit and avoid...... yes that too! Not everything on the Visitor's Planning Guide is recommended of course, depending on which side of the political fence you are.


Accommodation is very ordinary, much like Illinois. But I must tell you I set the alarm off twice with using a hairdryer. Any hot air, leaking gas and smoke can easily be detected in student apartments - this I learnt is due to an international student losing his wife & baby a couple of years back due to a gasleak from the stove. Living with such a hyperactive alarm system therefore makes it worthwhile, I'm not complaining!


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At March 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM , Blogger Faith said...

Wow!what a view, you seem to be having fun with those flowers. I have not able to blog for a long time. Iam just trying this one hope it will work.

 
At March 31, 2009 at 1:33 PM , Blogger Ray said...

Janie sure to bring us some flowers from the other side. How do you dry your hair now?

 
At April 1, 2009 at 3:51 PM , Blogger Janie Johnson said...

I open the front door and blow the hot air right out, Faith - that's the only way! Fortunately there is no traffic past my front door early in the morning which is when I follow this routine

Bye for now!
Janie

 
At April 2, 2009 at 3:07 AM , Blogger Avenal said...

I am at a Patent & Trademarks seminar in Washington DC and I checked out the A&M patents for these flowers. Take a look at one I found at Patent 5648594.

 
At April 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Omesh's Blog said...

Well Janie, u sure are having fun it seems.Yes, that alarm system also made me pretty alert not to trigger it off so as not to draw the attention of the whole community..hehehe..hope u enjoying the bus ride (driven by students)...also visit teh community centre there to listen to some interesting topics of discussion...
cheers, Omesh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home