Saturday, April 17, 2010

My responses to Lisa Kane's questions

What is it about libr* that I find exciting?
EVERYTHING! More especially that though performing a thankless role, we are indirectly feeding into the economic development as enablers in supporting research and as students are graduating - thereby contributing to changed lives.

What is my earliest joyful/enjoyable memory related to libr*?
Being locked up inside a library (Kempton Park public library) at a very early age. Feeling secure and happy and not being concerned about being locked inside. Knowledge does conquer fear!

What puzzles me about libr*?
Why do we always seem to have to fight for a reason for existence. This is the information age after all.

What angers me about libr*?
A fairly universal perception that we are basically redundant! Also what I perceive to be a level of incompetence by certain national library structures. I don't see the levels of leadership expected!

I wish everyone could hear about the libr*:
That you need us more than we need you! A bit flippant and overly stated but we as librarians must also assert our role and ensure that our services are centrally placed and embedded within the research processes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home