Thursday, April 15, 2010

Things that kept you going....

Lisa Kane, thanks a lot for this morning presentation. It was inspirational and timely. We are here at the academy to learn how to do research better, how to help researcher with their research, and so on. We are also learning more and more each day about each other on personal and professional level.
I want to use this blog post to place the questions, which we have been asked by Lisa (either place a comment on this post or just create a new blog post):
1. What it is about lib... that I found more exiting?
A: I feel privileged to be part of where information is found, knowledge is acquired and I helped along the way.
2. What is my earliest joyful/enjoyable memory related to lib....?
A: Finding my first books to read. I never thought I would become a librarian
3. What puzzles me about lib.....?
A: Why do librarians are afraid (take slow steps) of change? What are we afraid of?
4. What angers me about lib.....?
A: The lack of recognition; Outdated assumptions of what we should do or not; Stereotypes of how we should look, dress, behave and provide services.....
5. I wish lib...... could be different
A: Traditional library services meet virtual/online library services = Comprehensive services???
6. When I say library/librarian, what comes to mind?
A: The cleverest person in the world (ha-ha); Bookish? With glasses? Conservative clothing... Not my way, definitely..
7. Summarise in one sentence ..... What you wish everyone could hear about library/librarians?
A: My message is: Slowly but surely we adapt to the changing "social" world and the demand for information and services. We are no longer restricted to the " library physical walls", but we are "out there". We are part of the world creation of knowledge and information. I'm proud to be a cutting-edge LIBRARIAN.
Pavlinka

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At April 15, 2010 at 5:50 PM , Blogger Julene Vermeulen said...

1. To find documents or information that the lecture couldn't find and to be there CSI agent.
2.Earliest memory: In grade 1 my book price was a book about the library as place and in there was beautiful long rhymes that we could learn and it started like this: I know of a place where I can find .... Istill have the book.
3.We are suppose to be the most important department in the University but funding of sources ?
6. Visual beauty: look here http://myamazingfact.blogspot.com/2009/01/worlds-most-beautiful-libraries.html

 
At April 15, 2010 at 10:55 PM , Blogger Mimi Seyffert said...

1. Exciting: The EUREKA moment when I find info I'm looking for (especially when contained in a leather covered tome...)
2. Earliest joyful memory: Reading "in die voetspore van die ou reisigers" age 10 and discovering actual travellers journals in Africana 10 years later.
3. Puzzling: Why it is sometimes frowned upon to "walk the extra mile"
4. Annoying: To ALWAYS defend being what I am!
5. Different: That everything I do 'outside the box' can be valued the same as all the boring stuff.
6. Visual beauty: the view from my desk.
7. Librarians are NOT naturally resistant to change and are actually very accommodating and free thinking individuals!

 
At April 15, 2010 at 11:36 PM , Blogger Danie Malan said...

1. To find information that the lecturers struggle to find.
2. When I started to work in the Library
3. The resistance against change.
4. The red tape, yes I know a lot of it has to do with the Univ red tape.
6. Friendly people that is willing to help.
7. The library can help you with your studies and make a difference.

 
At April 16, 2010 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Smith said...

1. Discovering and exploring new technologies
2. Visiting the public library bi-weekly
3. Why we don't qualify for study leave?
4. Fellow colleagues who do not see the bigger picture. Being a manager but powerless.
5. More time to conduct research.
6. Computers and state-of-the-art e-resources and equipment.
7. Libraries managed to successfully open up access to all research information worldwide.
Ina

 
At April 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM , Blogger Refilwe AgnesMatatiele said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At April 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Refilwe AgnesMatatiele said...

1.Through librarianship I become involved in research that add value to our country's decision making and problem solving....

2.When I discovered that you can actually study (BIBL)to work in libraries a place that was foreing to my world. Turfloop 1986!!!

3. With all the result that demonstrated the library as the heart of our universities, and wonderful resources that we house physically and electronically' the students that pass and graduate with distinctions without setting their foot in the library. These prove that Peter Drucker is right in saying "neither the result nor the resources is inside; both are outside the business; the customer is the business".

4. We undermine our value, we are our worst enemy!!! e.g. we would recognize graduates from other discipline to do our job without Library qualification

5.I wish we could appreciate the academically gifted people in our profession.

6. A space of knowledge.

7. Information literacy enhances lifelong learning and it is a skill that is embedded in librarianship.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home